In 2019 we achieved so much! Thank you to all of the people who make the work possible, we are extremely grateful. Bring on 2020!!
Galway Community Circus Highlights 2019:
- Delivered 36 weeks of Youth Circus with 650 weekly members who performed 17 shows including ‘4 Elements’ in partnership with Galway Theatre Festival, ‘Travelling Light’ in partnership with Con Tempo and Galway Music Residency, Chirstmas Cabaret, bi-monthly Scratch Night shows, performance at The Wheel’s National Summit at Croke Park and our Circus Film project with Tumble Circus.
- Launched our strategic partnership with NUI Galway to build a degree course for circus teachers as part of the European Erasmus+ funded Circus++ project with 10 international university and circus school partners.
- Delivered 158 Social Circus workshops to 2560 participants in communities across Ireland by partnering with Galway County Council, HSE, Creative Ireland, Arts Alive, Garda Youth Diversion Team, Foróige, Galway Autism Partnership, First Fortnight, Finnish Embassy Ireland and the Galway Science Festival to name a few.
- We were awarded Creative Europe and Erasmus+ funding for Wires Crossed and officially launched the project in May together with Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture.
- Won the ‘Creative Place’ category in 2019 All-Ireland Pride of Place Awards – nominated by Galway City Council – and were chosen as the National Lottery Good Causes County Winner.
- Started our collaboration with Baboró International Arts Festival for Children, Galway Dance Project and Arch8 for the ‘The Streets Are Ours’ project as part of Galway 2020.
- Were invited to speak at the International Youth Mental Health Summit in Scotland, the International Children’s Culture Forum in Finland, CircusWorks Annual Seminar in Bristol and two Circostrada’s main annual events; Fresh Street and Fresh Circus.
- Hosted 8 European volunteers from Palestine, Italy, France and Belgium on 11-month residency funded by Erasmus+ and two Brazilian artists in residence adding to our brilliant and hugely international staff team
- Represented Ireland internationally as the board member of the International Youth and Social Circus Network Caravan. Coordinated 5 European Erasmus+ projects and took part in further 4 including 5 multi-annual strategic partnership projects and 4 mobility projects for young people and professionals.
A big thank you to our funding bodies
A big thank you to our funding bodies Arts Council, Galway City Council, Galway County Council, Erasmus+ via Leargas, Creative Europe, Sports Capital, Small capital, HSE, Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture, The Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and Creative Ireland. A massive shout out to Caravan, Isacs, Youth Theatre Ireland and The Wheel for their support.
Thank you to all our members, parents, participants, audience members, artists, staff, volunteers, board members and partners. We look forward to seeing you all in 2020!