A centre of excellence for youth and social circus in Ireland.
Galway Community Circus is Irelands flagship organisation for youth and social circus, located in Galway City with a local, national and international remit. Our aim is to advance the artistic, personal and social development of young people through Circus Arts. We are committed to creating an innovative and imaginative learning experience where all young people can realise their full potential. Through our ground-breaking programmes and high-quality productions, Galway Community Circus has proven itself to be a cradle of artistic excellence and educational innovation in Ireland, working with over 600 young people from diverse backgrounds every week.
To unlock personal and creative potential and deliver social inclusion for young people through circus arts.
Circus is the art of possibility. Not just an art form, circus is a way of life. It’s a unique, hard-working community where everyone is welcome, diversity and difference are actively embraced, and everyone is encouraged to dream. At Galway Community Circus we don’t just teach circus techniques, we impart the unique values of circus. These values guide and motivate the attitudes, behaviour and decision-making of members and artists, staff and volunteers alike.
At Galway Community Circus we….
- Provide HIGH-QUALITY arts experience in circus for all
- Foster a sense of BELONGING so that everyone feels welcome, safe, accepted, and valued for who they are
- Work collaboratively, SUPPORT each other, and celebrate one another’s success
- Create a culture of personal and collective RESPONSIBILITY, pursuit of excellence and resilience
- DREAM big, take risks and are not afraid to make mistakes
- Focus on positivity and POSSIBILITY
- CHALLENGE self-limiting thinking patterns and default behaviours
- Value individual and collective CREATIVITY
- Play, have FUN, and remain curious
Galway Community Circus aims to create work that is of equal social and artistic excellence. We believe it is important to involve our performers in projects which are entirely inclusive and where the process is safe and nurturing but also where the final product is of high artistic quality.
For us, artistic ambition translates to participatory processes, that allow each person to reach their potential, and innovative, artistically excellent work that engages with diverse audiences and wide range of creative collaborators and showcases circus as exciting, accessible and meaningful art form.
By turning you upside down, we teach you to stand on your own two feet. By dropping objects, we teach you to catch them. By having you walk over someone, we teach you to take care of them. By having you clown around, we teach you to take yourself seriously -Robert Sugerman, Circus for Everyone: Circus Learning Around the World